Ok I've been sitting on this one for a couple weeks. Felt like something was missing in the design. But unfortunately I have to move on.. have other things to do.
This was an idea that's been sitting in my head since the movie came out. I 100% believe this is exactly where the Joker has been. I find it ridiculous that people feel like the Joker would of been one of the inmates from Black Gate that would of been released.
A.) He would of been in Arkham. NOT Black Gate.. Arkham=criminally insane, Black Gate=criminals not necessarily insane
B.) Why the hell would Bane release the one man in Gotham that -save for Batman himself- would of been the biggest monkey wrench in the plans. I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to release the most unpredictable person in Gotham (maybe the world)
I wanted to make a clear distinction between the Arkham hall and Joker's cell. Compared to Joker's dank, chaotic abode, the halls of Arkham are almost pristine. This is all relative of course... there's something horrifying about the antiseptic corridors of Arkham.
The other two players are indeed Dr. Crane (who is still given high-level access to Arkham) and Harley (who, as you can tell, is amused at the frustration her favorite patient causes on Bane)
(UPDATE: It didn't occur to me that the graffiti was going to take such a hit in the jpeg compression.. so here is all the text...)
Joker's graffiti has a lot of easter eggs.
- Left wall: The paragraph above Bane's arm is incoherent.. simply sentences I wrote that were lingering in the surface of my brain. Wanted to do an exercise in writing where I kept the "id" part of my mind free-flowing.. ignoring the "ego" and "super-ego" parts. Joker runs on Id. So don't sweat that one... buuuuut..
- Left wall: The sentence just below Bane's arm reads: 'Britta'd It' (it's from NBC's Community - it's an insult.)
- Left wall: That's the Bat symbol above the toilet.... Joker's ironic way to pay respects to his nemesis' icon
-Left wall: To the right of the toilet, the text reads: 'Help us oh BAT One.. you're our only hope!' --- Joker mock calling out to Batman in the wake of Gotham Occupation. But even he recognizes only Batman is going to save the day.
- Right wall: Bottom left corner, the text reads 'Found out today my doc's name was Dr. Perry' -- another Community reference. Implying that Harley's old name was Britta Perry
- Right wall: Scrawled in blood, near the top: "He will return" --- Joker knows that Bruce-Bat will return at some point from the pit.
- Right wall: Scrawled in blood, circle text: 'The Devil's in the details.. God's in Ambiguity' (not an attack on anyone's religion.. just something I'd imagine the Joker would say)
- Right wall: Scrawled in blood, text behind Joker's head (more visible in page 1) 'Roses are Dead, Corpses are Blue.. There's only One Demon Son.. is it YOU?' -- Joker is directly insulting Bane. Somehow the ever eerily aware Joker knows Bane's origins.. recognizes that Bane is NOT the attended prodigy of Ra's Al Ghul.. Batman is.
- Right wall: Black text above the insult... is a mock image of Bane's mask. Beneath it, it reads Morpheus (from Neil Gaiman's Sandman) -- Joker eerily recognizes that Bane's mask looks like a strange distorted version of the Dream King's
- Right wall: It's a hangman game that reads: 'Hav_ You M_t Harv_ys Twin'
(UPDATE: Adding a PSA)
P.S. Wanted to point out (which I do in the comments) that I 100% agreed with Nolan that the Joker was not referenced in TDKR. I find that kind of stuff distateful. When Christopher Reeve died, and they made some ridiculous reference in Smallville that his character was killed, I found it grotesque. Or if Batman said something like 'Good thing the Joker is still locked up!' -- it would of felt forced.
(UPDATE: Adding a second P.S.)
P.P.S.S I'm glad no one called me out on the fact that Arkham cell doors swing OUT. Ha.. you'll notice it in Batman Begins. That being said, I took creative freedom to make Joker's cell unique. Reason being.. I felt it was more ominous for the viewer (and Bane) to open the door INTO Joker's cell.. as if to briefly try to enter Joker's mind.